It’s just, what? Six days, five days before the release of the third and the final book in Veronica Roth‘s Divergent trilogy, Allegiant. A lot of people, myself included, have been eagerly (also, impatiently) waiting for it. We all know it has to end but, still, it’s bittersweet. It’s hard to say good-bye to all the characters in the series. We’ve been with them from day one, accompanied them through their struggles, grew to love them. So, as a sort of “saying good-bye” to Tris, Tobias, Christina, Uriah and the rest of the Divergent gang, here are the songs that, in a way, inspired the books. This is for the first book, Divergent.
Personal note: My faves from the list are Again and Arise by Flyleaf, and Come Alive by Foo Fighters because it really captured the feel of the book. Give it a listen. NO, strike that! Give all of these songs a listen.
1. Starts with One – Shiny Toy Guns (We Are Pilots)
This song gets me in touch with the good aspects of Beatrice’s chosen faction
2. Chasm – Flyleaf (Memento Mori)
And this song gets me in touch with the bad aspects of Beatrice’s chosen faction.
3. Come Alive – Foo Fighters (Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace)
This is the love interest’s song for Beatrice.
4. Again – Flyleaf (Memento Mori)
And this is Beatrice’s song for the love interest.
5. Help I’m Alive – Metric (Fantasies)
Beatrice’s initiation song.
6. We Die Young – The Showdown (Temptation Come My Way)
This might as well be the theme song for Beatrice’s chosen faction—it’s what they would choose for themselves.
7. Canvas – Imogen Heap (Ellipse)
This is the “riding on trains” song.
8. Running Up That Hill – Placebo (Covers)
The tone of this song matches the tone of much of the book, for me.
9. Sweet Sacrifice – Evanescence (The Open Door)
I was listening to this song when the first scene I wrote (in chapter 6) popped into my head. That scene led me to the world of the book and its basic plot.
10. Arise – Flyleaf (Memento Mori)
A powerful song that’s perfect for chapters 38 and 39.